Graphology is the analysis of the physical characteristics and patterns of handwriting claiming to be able to identify the writer, indicating psychological state at the time of writing, or evaluating personality characteristics. It is generally considered a pseudoscience.
There are several aspects of analyzing handwriting such as general style of writing, the formation of letters, the alignment and space between words and lines, strokes and patterns, the loops in alphabets, bends, slants of writing, size of letters etc.
For example, if somebody is using lots of dots in writing, the person is associated with lack of confidence. Certain curves of letters, which individuals are unable to present in their writings, may denote certain stomach or mental ailments.
An upward moving baseline is associated with happy people while a downward sloping hand denotes a person prone to depression.
Large size handwriting indicates extravert and outgoing nature, while small size handwriting hints at someone who is introverted and focused. If the handwriting is generally upright, this indicates independence.
Right slant indicates a response to communication; writer may wish to be friendly, manipulative, responsive, and intrusive, to sell, to control, to be loving, supportive, just to name some possibilities whereas left slant tendency shows emotion and reserve. Forward slants in handwriting signify a future-oriented attitude while doodling wavy patterns suggest an easy-going nature.
Graphologists are trained specialists in handwriting analysis who carefully studies the various intricacies of a person’s handwriting to interpret the writer’s character, behavior, mindset, emotions, creativity, likes and dislikes, strengths, weaknesses, fears and future potential.
They are skilled at analyzing one’s signatures and can also read random scribbling and doodling, as they conceal valuable hints. They can even identify depression and suicidal tendencies if approached at the right time.
Graphology finds major application in areas like human resource development, consultant services, teaching etc. where screening of people is essential.
Graphology is emerging as an interesting career choice and has a good potential for its application in corporate sector. Learning the techniques of graphology can be very useful in many different professions, especially for those working in HR, psychology and teaching field. It is also ideal as a supplementary profession or hobby.
How to Become a Graphologist
To become a graphologist, one should have a flair for analyzing other people’s writings, ability to understand the difference between handwritings, a keen eye for detail and the will to master a new skill. Good communication skills, intelligence, inquisitiveness, ability to notice even minute details and a desire to understand and analyze people, are the desirable skills to learn graphology. A graphologist must also have some basic psychological sense.
In India, there are no recognized degree courses in Graphology. It is usually taught as a part of Forensic science. Various training institutes (listed below) are offering short-term certificate and diploma courses in Graphology.
- World School of Handwriting, Mumbai.
- Institute of Graphological Research, Mumbai.
- Indian Graphologists, Kolkata.
- MJ Rajore Institute of Graphology
- Kokata Institute of Graphology
- International Graphological Research Centre (IGRC)
Job Prospects and Career Opportunities in Graphology
Graphology has a wide variety of applications, professionally as well as personally, from choosing the right candidate to choosing the right life partner. Graphologists are in demand in various sectors such as psychiatric and counseling centers, career guidance, personality development, child development, employee recruitement, marriage compatibility, police department, forensic department, private investigation centers etc.
Business Owners, Personnel Managers, Journalists, Financial Service Providers, Law Enforcement & Investigative Agencies, Legal Professionals, Psychologists, Medical Practitioners, Academics and Questioned Document Examiners may need the services of a Graphologist. Forensic department recruits Graphologists to analyze signatures and handwritings to detect forgery.
Graphology is now accepted and increasingly used for many purposes like personality development, self-improvement, team building, counseling and child development.
Combined with psychology, Graphology is also used as a therapy for improving one’s personality. Psychologists believe that correcting handwriting can lead to self improvement. Factors like mood, state of mind, type of pen, paper and ink affect writing. Even signatures of the same person vary at times. A professional graphologist helps to solve problems of clients by analyzing their handwriting and signature, and suggesting a pattern to write.
Handwriting is considered as brain writing, since brain transmits electrical impulses through the nervous system and fibers of the body, arm, hand and fingers.
- Corporate industries/Consultant services hire the services of graphologists for selecting the most suitable employees. These industries make use of these professionals to judge and determine the personality traits, aptitude and abilities of the employees before zeroing in on the right career.
- Forensic department need graphologists support to forgery and get to the root criminal cases by analyzing suspect’s handwriting samples.
- Court and police departments require the expertise of graphologists to perform character analysis on samples of handwriting found at crime scenes or written by possible criminals.
- Schools may need assistance of graphologists in evaluating and helping problematic students. Graphologists serve as a guide not only to the parents but also to the teachers in providing them with insights into the personality of young children.
- Career guidance sector — Graphologists can help people to make the right career choices and give additional inputs for self-improvement.
Important Factors to Keep in Mind
- Be optimistic. Have a positive attitude while dealing with your clients.
- Never blame a person while judging him or her.
- Always judge a person after reading the handwriting sample thoroughly.
- Never reveal the privacy of your clients.
- Don’t be overconfident about your judgement of the individual.
Points that Are Considered during Writing Analysis
- Pressure applied when writing indicates emotional and physical energy.
- Slant of writing indicates what the writer does with their emotional and physical energy.
- Baseline indicates emotional control and emotional reliability.
- Size of writing indicates the ability to concentrate.