Ending A Sentence With A Preposition
Using Prepositions At The End Of Sentences
Preposition as the name suggests literally means that which is placed before.— Manik Joshi
The word preposition is translated “position before”, or “to place before”.
The problem with this translation is that many have been swayed to believe it is improper to place a preposition at the end; and would rather avoid ending a sentence with a preposition.
This, however, is only a myth and not the rule. You can actually end your sentences with prepositions.
To quote Manik Joshi in verbatim, “Using a preposition at the end of a sentence is not grammatically incorrect. Sometimes, using preposition at the end of a sentence seems better than using it in the middle or beginning of a sentence.”
Since there is no hard and fast rule regarding use of a preposition at the end of a sentence, so whether you use it or not at the end of a sentence, it is your sole prerogative. But as most people avoid excessive use of prepositions at the end of sentences, you can follow suit, and may use them only when they give strength to your language.
Most people probably know that some words including on, off, over, etc. may be used as both prepositionsOpens in new window and adverbsOpens in new window. However, only few people can easily differentiate between a prepositionOpens in new window and an adverbOpens in new window. So, whenever they see these words at the end of sentences, they think that they are prepositions.
As most of the people frown at the idea of using prepositions at the end of sentences, they even don’t use these words as adverbs at the end of sentencesOpens in new window.
In the remainder of this post, you will learn when you can use a preposition at the end of a sentence.
- An ad agency’s job is to take a brand to consumers and communicate the proposition well to them, so that they understand what the brand is all about.
- But I knew it would be nothing to smile about.
- Could you tell me what he was on about?
- Do something you are usually quite confident about.
- We have a lot to talk about.
- Let’s go to see what all the clamoring is about.
- That’s all I needed to talk to you about.
- Do you share your fears with people you care about?
- What is your project really about?
- There are many things that are very uncomfortable thinking about.
- He had something to fight against.
- It is the system he is fighting against.
- He tapped his fingers on the ticket counter he leaned against.
- They didn’t seem to be folks we would attempt to go up against.
- Whatever he had been about to say, he had decided against.
- There are potential threats we must guard against.
- He is suffering from negativity that he is trying to protect himself against.
- Find out what they enjoy and what they are good at.
- He played other sports as well, but football was the one sport he excelled at.
- She hated being laughed at.
- She is pleasant to look at.
- They do not want to disclose the details of the agreement which they have arrived at.
- Which bank do you deal at?
- You would never know what we were looking at?
- The opportunity to become an AOP passed him by.
- The chattering were so loud that they could be heard above the horns of vehicles passing by.
- Who is this book by?
- For funds, he has only approached entrepreneurs he has genuine respect for.
- He could be paying for something that has already been paid for.
- He has no family ties, he is single. Who will he be corrupt for?
- She was a role model for me, someone I admired and had great affection for.
- How are we supposed to know what to look for!
- How much should I ask for?
- I am always if that is not what you are looking for.
- I knew that he was the one I had been waiting for.
- I have a wonderful career, better than I could have hoped for.
- I told him that what he did was uncalled for.
- He achieved landslide victory in both constituencies he was contesting from.
- He fell into a deep sleep, one he would never again wake from.
- He set off in the direction she had come from.
- He was very interested in who I was and where I came from.
- We went through series of investigations to understand where the enemy was firing from.
- There are too many options to choose from.
- There are situations that are impossible to detach yourself from.
- Reading biographies are something that many people draw deep inspiration from.
- Which state are you from?
- Where does gold come from?