Identifying the Pronoun Antecedent
Antecedent means that which comes before: it represents the word for which a pronoun stands or to which it refers back.
In Example 1 below, his refers to Andrew. Andrew is the antecedent of the pronoun his.
- 1) Andrew washed his shoes.
The construction in Example II contains two pronouns and two antecedents.
- The pronoun her refers to Gretchen, so Gretchen is the antecedent of her.
- Their refers to Gretchen and her parent.
Gretchen and her parent is the antecedent of the pronoun their.
- 2) Gretchen and her parent were working out in their gym.
In 3), its refers to the phrase being a woman in a male-dominated profession. The entire phrase is the antecedent.
- 3) Being a woman in a male-dominated profession has its advantages and disadvantages.